[Neurodebian-users] NeuroFedora packaging priorities

Morgan Hough morgan.hough at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 11:06:05 GMT 2018

Hi Yarik/Michael/All,

Ankur Sinha recently resurrected NeuroFedora and as he is a computational
neuroscientist, he has been focused on packaging NEST, Brian, etc. Igor
Gnatenko and I previous used a shared Google Doc with packages drawn from
NeuroDebian and the web that seemed to fit the criteria for inclusion but
it needs to be updated and before I did that I wanted to get in touch about
a couple of things.

1) Is there still neurodebian-upstream list that would maybe be appropriate
for sharing info on common upstream packaging/licensing problems?

2) Is there an up-to-date list of the most widely installed packages from
NeuroDebian that we can use to prioritize our RPM packaging efforts with
sought after neuroimaging packages?

3) I would certainly be interested in learning about venues that have been
useful to present NeuroDebian to those outside the neuroimaging community
(FOSDEM, MozFest, etc.) as well as any interest in sharing booth
space/fees/costs/resources/labor for such opportunities. As a regular
neurodebian user myself, I would be very proud to represent NeuroDebian at
some of the most recent open source/open science conferences I have
attended.

Finally, I don't know what support NeuroDebian currently receives for
efforts outside neuroimaging research but if it is within my budget I would
match that to include NeuroFedora. Happy to do that through/with INCF or
however others see fit. I only want this to be a contribution and net
benefit in terms of relations with other projects such as NeuroDebian. I
would certainly like to learn how I can help NeuroFedora perhaps benefit
from research funding as well but as the new kid on the block mainly just
looking for advice to get started providing a service that others will
benefit from now.

Thanks for your time, and as always, thank you for your inspiring project
and community.

Cheers,

-Morgan