[Neurodebian-users] NeuroFedora packaging priorities

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Sun Nov 18 17:59:35 GMT 2018

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

>> TLDR; Debian may be awesome, but RHEL is also awesome ;-)
>
> Sorry, I might be missing something -- does RHEL now provide a rich set
> of neuroscience related python (and not only) packages?

It depends on how you define "provides"; RHEL certainly does not provide
them in form of pre-built binaries for the OS-level package management
system (rpm).

My argument was, however, that managing pure Python dependencies is
trivial for anyone who has a clue, and it's mostly Python packages that
depend upon evil native stuff that are a bit more challenging to deal
with... this challenge is also far from being insurmountable though, see
the rest of the rant mentioning gsrc.

On top of that, specifically in the HPC context, I used to make my own
NumPy / SciPy builds with icc against MKL anyways to squeeze every last 2%
performance out of my CPUs, not even speaking of MPI stuff. If you are
routinely running simulations that take 1 000 000 CPU hours, some 20 000
hours do make a difference... so no way I would have used distro packages
built to work on a wide range of CPUs, and thus not exploiting latest
instruction set extensions.

Anyways, that being sad, I was happily using (Neuro)Debian stuff for
introductory courses, where performance didn't play a role, while
convenience & unification meant that one could focus on course material
instead of teaching SysAdmin 101 to a herd of biology fresh(wo)men.

>> I just used gsrc (which is pretty crazy, but equally awesome... today I
>> maybe would have picked some nix-like stuff...
>
> don't you need some kind of a root "daemon" to make use of guix/nix ?

Nope, not at all:

   $ nix run --store ~/nix nixpkgs.nix nixpkgs.bashInteractive

This will create an user-owned nix store, which does not require root
privileges, and spawn a shell where this store will be mounted to /nix.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev