[Nut-upsdev] Re: Fw: NUT hidups dont working on new linux kernels

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 10:28:17 UTC 2005

2005/12/13, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca>:

> =?windows-1252?Q?Kri=9Atof_Petr?= wrote:
> >
> > Peter Selinger wrote:
> > > I am forwarding the below message. Does anybody on this list know
> > > anything about this problem?
> > >
> > > Petr - perhaps you should switch from the "hidups" to the "newhidups"
> > > driver. I believe it supported the APC Back UPS even in NUT 2.0.2, and
> > > it certainly does so in the Development version that you can get from
> > > CVS (see the NUT download page).
> >
> > No, the result is the same:
> > # service ups start
> > Starting newhidups: Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.23 (
> 2.0.2)
> >
> > No USB/HID UPS found
>
> Yes, but you should start the driver with debugging enabled. Try this
> (as root):
>
> drivers/newhidups -u root -DD auto
>
> At the very least, it should give you some more useful debugging info.
>
> > > Also, could you post the output of "ls -l /dev/usb"? Perhaps this is
> > > not a kernel problem at all, but a problem of a missing device node.
> >
> > # ls -al /dev/usb
> > total 0
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     60 Dec  8 11:33 .
> > drwxr-xr-x  9 root root   3740 Dec  8 11:35 ..
> > crw-rw----  1 root nut  189, 1 Dec  8 11:33 ups0
>
> Hm. Newhidups actually does not use /dev/usb, it uses /proc/bus/usb.

false: the /proc/bus/usb path is libusb dependant. And a libusb compiled on
a 2.6.14 machine use ... /dev/bus/usb! The problem I'm now facing is that
the hotplug scripts used by udev still report the new device as
/proc/bus/usb/X/Y and not /dev/bus/usb/X/Y. Still investigating.

I believe the kernel change only affected hotplugging, i.e.,
> permissions, and not the actual USB interface. If this is true, then
> with "-u root", it should work anyway.

that's right. The only aim of this "feature" is to set the proper
permissions on the device at plug time. So trying as root for debug purpose
is fine.

Note that this point is one of the 2 remaining for the 2.0.3 release (the
other one is a regression on mge-utalk, along with some docs update)

Debian Developer -
http://people.debian.org/~aquette/<http://people.debian.org/%7Eaquette/>