Fwd: [Nut-upsdev] Fun with TrippLite

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Dec 16 17:12:46 UTC 2005

Hi Jonathan and Charles,

yes, the Tripp-Lite HID subdriver was under development. I started it
based on the debug output posted by somebody on this list a few weeks
ago, but then I either didn't get the information I needed, or got too
busy to act on it.

That driver is still incomplete, in the sense that there are many
unmapped device variables.

Jonathan, if you run this driver, could you use "upsc" to print out
the states of the various variables? Also observe how they change over
time as you plug/unplug the power, initiate battery tests, etc.
Perhaps you can figure out the meaning of some of the variables
starting with "UPS.*", which are the ones I haven't yet mapped. For
example, one of them might be the system load that you were looking
for.

Some of the instant commands have been implemented, and may/may not be
working. You could test the behavior of

test.battery.start.quick
test.battery.start.deep
test.battery.stop
load.off
shutdown.return
shutdown.stop
beeper.on
beeper.off

and let me know if they do anything sensible. Note: only run these
tests if nothing important is plugged into the UPS, as it might cut
power. Also, beeper.on and beeper.off might not do anything unless
there is an "alarm condition" (such as low battery).

The most important variable to look out for is ups.status, as this is
what upsmon uses to figure out if/when to shutdown the system. You may
test that it shows OL (which the UPS is on line), OB (when it is on
battery), or LB (when the battery is low).

-- Peter