[Nut-upsdev] APC Back-UPS 500

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 17:11:21 UTC 2005

On 12/29/05, Rob Crittenden <rcrit at greyoak.com> wrote:
> I'm using nut 2.0.2 from Fedora Core 4 and had some trouble getting my
> APC Back-UPS 500 working. I ended up having to rebuild the RPM myself
> after making some code changes.
>
> I had to increase the upsd synchronization timeout from 5 to 15 seconds.
> It seems like 10 is the sweet spot but allowing a few extra seconds
> doesn't seem to hurt anything. At 5 the UPS would timeout 5 out of 6 times.

Depending on which timeout this is (I don't have the code handy), this
might be something that could be exposed as a configuration variable.
I think some of the MGE USB UPSes take a while as well, due to the
slow internal baud rate, and the low-speed USB transfers.

> The second problem is that my UPS, a USB model using the newhidups
> driver, doesn't send PresentStatus (840002) in its updates. This means
> that ups.status is always empty and upsmon has a fit over it.
>
> My fix was to simply remove "PresentStatus." from the ups.status entries
> in apc-hid.h. I haven't been able to come up with any sort of
> semi-elegant solution for this. My fix could break any UPS that relies
> on PresentStatus for its updates.

Does the debug output indicate an alternative variable that provides
on battery/online status? (In this case, '-D -D' is probably a decent
debug level for newhidups.)

--
- Charles Lepple