[Nut-upsdev] telling apart USB devices

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 20:32:15 UTC 2005

2005/11/6, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca>:

> Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
> I believe this will not quite work when starting the driver manually
> without -a. In this case, there is no way for upsd to know what actual
> device is connected to the driver, and therefore, there will be no way
> for commands like "upsc upsname at host" to work. On the other hand, I
> see no way around this problem. It means, if one wants to use upsd,
> one always has to start the driver with "-a" (even for non-USB
> devices). It this okay? Or do you want to change the behavior only for
> newhidups, and retain the old behavior for all other drivers?

yep, I should have given more details.
This behavior (starting the driver without -a and upsd being able to server
its data) which we'll call "unnamed ups", goes back to a time when we were
able to call "upsc localhost".

Now, users are using the conf files, and upsdrvctl or drv -a. So the only
need to start the drv manually (without -a) is only for debug purpose.
Thus we don't have to care about upsd communication, and the socket filename
can be a dummy value. We only create it for compat...

So this new behavior becomes the standard.