More information Re: [Nut-upsdev] TrippLite OMNI1000LCD hiddev

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Nov 7 15:29:52 UTC 2005

Joel Peshkin wrote:

> Peter Selinger wrote:
>
> >Better. What you actually need is:
> >
> >/usr/local/ups/bin/newhidups -u root -x vendorid=09AE -x generic -DD auto
> >

> It is still being strange....
>
> After trying this /dev/usb/hiddev0 disappears (actually, dev/usb
> disappears, but it is the only thing there) and I have to rmmod usb_uhci
> and udb_ehci and re-insmod them to get the device back.

Yes, this is normal. Newhidups uses the /proc/bus/usb/... interface,
and the kernel does not allow this and /dev/usb/hiddev0 to be used at
the same time. The kernel actually removes /dev/usb/hiddev0 in this
situation.  Unplugging and re-plugging the USB device should have the
same effect as reloading the kernel driver.

(Anyone: since this point gets discussed on the mailing list all the
time, perhaps we should have a FAQ entry about this? As well as the
"newhidups -u root -x vendorid=09ae -x generic -DD auto" thing?)

> By the way, this is on a ubuntu (breezy) system fwiw, but I switched to
> a fresh cvs checkout of nut to debug.
>
> # /usr/local/ups/bin/newhidups -uroot -x vendorid=09AE -x generic -DD
> Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.1.0)
>
> debug level is '2'
> Checking device (09AE/2005) (001/003)
> - VendorID: 09ae
> - ProductID: 2005
> - Manufacturer: Tripp Lite
> - Product: TRIPP LITE UPS
> - Serial Number: 692185 A
> - Bus: 001
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
> HID descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 459)
> Unable to get Report descriptor (-75)

Aha. Now we are getting closer. Hm. Why does it say "descriptor
retrieved" and then "unable to get descriptor"? I'll have to look at
this later when I have time. Have to run to a class right now.

-- Peter