[Nut-upsdev] Re: CyberPower 685AVR and newhidups

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:57:23 UTC 2005

On 10/31/05, Scott Alfter <scott at alfter.us> wrote:
> ups.power.nominal=552 (close enough to 550 for government work)
> ups.delay.shutdown=-1 (what you said it should be)
> ups.test.result=Done and passed
>
> Is there a reason why it should return 550 VA?  The specs for this UPS
> say it should be good for 685 VA.  (390 W is also specified for it,
> which is what you were getting earlier.)

Peter, how are you calculating VA?

VA really isn't going to be much help in the EU where power factor
correction is required (so VA and watts will be equal). However, we
only have a variable for "power", and often UPS manufacturers don't
distinguish between VA and apparent power.

> (With the subsequent tests complete and the UPS supplying power to the
> server again, the load is indicated as 53.0.  This is for a 1.0-GHz
> Athlon (Thunderbird core) with two hard drives (one 10-krpm SCSI and one
> 7200-rpm IDE) and a 14" or 15" CRT (not sure which).  I suspect that the
> load isn't scaled properly.  Runtime is down to 690.)

60 W / 12.0 = 5, so 53.0 * 5 = 265 W

is 265 W too low for that setup?

(load is usually a percentage of full power)

--
- Charles Lepple