[Nut-upsdev] Help with USB support for a Kebo UPS-650D

Andrew Dancy andrew at lothianproductions.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 11:46:05 UTC 2005

Folks,

I'm fairly new to this whole Linux UPS thingie, but I'd quite like to have a
look at getting my UPS to work under Linux and would be grateful for any
help in getting a driver. I have a reasonable working knowledge of Linux and
software development, and thus am happy to modify config files, alter kernel
settings, etc, although I'm no C guru.

I have a Kebo UPS-650D, which was a popular no-brand budget UPS sold here in
the UK for a while. I've traced the manufacturer back to
http://www.dianxing-kebo.com <http://www.dianxing-kebo.com/>  . The UPS has
a USB port on the back, but no serial port. It's currently connected via USB
to my Linux box.

There is Windows software supplied with the UPS which purports to provide
information on input/output voltage, load, battery status, etc. The software
is called PowerManager and is made by a company called RichComm (website
appears to be at www.richcomm.com <http://www.richcomm.com/>  ). According
to their website, the PowerManager software can control various UPS brands.
I've seen reference on Google to it working specifically with Starpower and
UPguardS UPS devices as well as the Kebo ones.

I have been able to get Linux to detect the USB device. Catting
/proc/bus/usb/devices provides the following output:

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2

B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0

D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1

P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.06

S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.10-1.770_FC3smp uhci_hcd

S:  Product=UHCI Host Controller

S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:07.2

C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  0mA

I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub

E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=255ms

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0

D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1

P:  Vendor=0925 ProdID=1234 Rev= 0.01

S:  Manufacturer=     N/A

S:  Product=   N/A

C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA

I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid

E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   6 Ivl=10ms

The latter would appear to be the UPS and the former is the USB controller
in the computer. The system is running Fedora Core 3 with kernel version
2.6.10-smp

I have downloaded the latest version of NUT from CVS as of today, which
successfully compiled and installed. I have ensured there is a valid HID
device entry at in /dev/usb/hiddev0 and have configured /etc/usb/ups.conf as
follows:

[myups]

        driver=newhidups

        port=/dev/usb/hiddev0

When I run newhidusb (with the following command:
/usr/local/ups/bin/newhidups -DDD /dev/usb/hiddev0 ) I get the following
output:

Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.1.0)

debug level is '3'

Checking device (0925/1234) (001/003)

- VendorID: 0925

- ProductID: 1234

- Manufacturer: unknown

- Product: unknown

- Serial Number: unknown

- Bus: 001

Trying to match device

Device does not match - skipping

Checking device (0000/0000) (001/001)

- VendorID: 0000

- ProductID: 0000

- Manufacturer: unknown

- Product: unknown

- Serial Number: unknown

- Bus: 001

Trying to match device

Device does not match - skipping

No appropriate HID device found

No matching USB/HID UPS found

Being a total newbie to all this, my first question is how can I get NUT  to
try using each of the new HID usb drivers with my UPS? It appears to be
ignoring my UPS, presumably because it can't match the vendorid or productid
to a specific driver. Where can I set this? What should I try next?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew Dancy

http://www.lothianproductions.co.uk <http://www.lothianproductions.co.uk/>