[Nut-upsdev] Add USB vendor/device id for Belkin F6C120-UNV

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Aug 25 19:26:44 UTC 2006

Excellent, we did not have the ProductID for this device on file
before. Jonathan will be happy :)

In continuation of a previous discussion about whether the newhidups
subdrivers should accept all devices, or only known devices, I have
changed the Belkin subdriver's claim function as follows:

* accept all known UPS devices (currently 0980 and 0912)
* reject all known non-UPS devices (currently 0218)
* accept unknown devices if requested by the user via the '-x productid'
  option
* otherwise, reject unknown devices (and print a debug message suggesting
  that the user try the '-x productid' option)

Jonathan, do you think this behavior is an improvement? Accepting all
unknown devices is not good, because it could include hubs. But
rejecting all unknown devices is not good either (because it requires
users to hack the source to get their unknown device to work). So
allowing them to override it with the '-x productid' option seemed
like a reasonable compromise.

If you think this is a good idea, perhaps we should implement the same
behavior for the other subdrivers as well (the tripplite subdriver
already has something similar). -- Peter