[Nut-upsdev] Add USB vendor/device id for Belkin F6C120-UNV

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Tue Aug 29 16:26:15 UTC 2006

Jonathan Dion wrote:

> > The only bad situation I can think of is if we need two different
> > subdrivers for the same vendor. Then this mechanism will no longer
> > work unambiguously. However, that is not the case for now. If this
> > happens in the future, we can easily add a '-x subdriver' option.
>
> Totally agree. I already thought of an '-x subdriver' option. After
> some thought about it, it would be better not to have to use it,
> because the user shouldn't have to worry about the internal
> architecture of newhidups.
> For the moment, -x vendorid and -x productid are enough as a vendorid
> is enough to choose the subdriver. I prefer this solution because the
> user can easilly found out the pair of Id of his UPS, thus we can make
> a generic document explaining how to do this if needed.
>

> > I have now updated the other subdrivers to support the same behavior
> > (except the tripplite subdriver, which still suggests that the users
> > should try the "tripplite_usb" driver first).
> >

> Could you precise the point about tripplite please ? tripplite_usb is
> better than tripplite-hid ? I still have lot of thing to learn about
> NUT ^_^

Tripplite makes two different kinds of USB devices. The first kind is
some kind of serial-over-USB protocol, and is supported by the
tripplite_usb driver. The second kind (product id 0x2005 and perhaps
0x1003) is HID and is supported by the newhidups driver.

If a user tries the newhidups driver on a Tripplite device whose
product id is not 2005 or 1003, then there is a great chance that they
should use the tripplite_usb driver instead. Therefore, this is what
the message now suggests them to do (rather than allowing the user to
override).

-- Peter