[Nut-upsdev] Added -f command line option to upsmon

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Dec 5 22:20:49 CET 2006

Folks,

I recently had a discussion with Philip Ward about the need for upsmon
to be the master of a couple of UPS'es that are not providing power to
the system that it (upsmon) is running on (Windows servers and SAN
systems). These systems have in common that they are incapable of being
master, so they rely on a upsmon that is running on a *nix box. We came
to the conclusion that it might be useful to be able to specify an
alternative upsmon.conf on the commandline, so that it is possible to
run multiple upsmon's with a different configuration in parallel.

This is all pretty immature, so bear with me while we iron out the
problems with such a setup. For the time being, the -f option is an
undocumented feature. If you don't specify this option, the location of
the upsmon.conf file will be as usual, so there should be no
compatibility issues here. If this turns out to be a useful addition, I
will make the necessary changes to the man pages.

Regards, Arjen