[Nut-upsdev] Character-encoding in code and docs

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Feb 10 13:51:25 UTC 2006

I think he was referrring to *comments* in source files, and there
should be no problem at all regarding portability.

I agree that we should avoid international characters in strings,
unless we add proper internationalization support to NUT.

I vote for UTF-8 as the encoding standard, with unix-style line
terminators.

Currently we have the following text files with non-ASCII or '\r'
characters:

NEWS:               UTF-8 Unicode English text
data/driver.list:   UTF-8 Unicode English text
debian/changelog:   UTF-8 Unicode English text
drivers/bcmxcp.c:   UTF-8 Unicode C program text
drivers/belkin.c:   ISO-8859 C program text
drivers/belkin.h:   ISO-8859 C program text
drivers/oneac.h:    ASCII C program text, with CRLF, LF line terminators
drivers/solis.c:    UTF-8 Unicode C program text
drivers/upscode2.c: UTF-8 Unicode C program text
drivers/upscode2.h: UTF-8 Unicode C program text
man/bcmxcp.8:       ISO-8859 troff or preprocessor input text
man/bcmxcp_usb.8:   ISO-8859 troff or preprocessor input text, with CRLF line terminators
man/oneac.8:        ASCII troff or preprocessor input text, with CRLF, LF line terminators
man/solis.8:        UTF-8 Unicode troff or preprocessor input text
man/upscode2.8:     ISO-8859 troff or preprocessor input text
debian/po/ca.po:    UTF-8 Unicode English text
debian/po/cs.po:    ISO-8859 English text
debian/po/fr.po:    ISO-8859 English text
debian/po/vi.po:    UTF-8 Unicode English text, with very long lines
docs/cables/mgeups.txt:    ASCII English text, with CRLF line terminators
docs/cables/powerware.txt: ISO-8859 text

Also, CHANGES used to contain Unicode characters, but they got so
mangled by different editors that they are no longer there.

-- Peter