[Nut-upsdev] SVN migration status

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:32:04 UTC 2006

It looks like the Subversion migration is working. The CVS repository
is still there, but in read-only mode. However, the SVN repository
preserves the version history of the CVS repository, albeit organized
slightly differently.

For an introduction to Subversion, this online book is essential:

   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

It is written by some of the Subversion authors. The only drawback I
can think of is their frivolous use of footnotes. Feel free to ignore
them on the first read-through.

Here are the suggested chapters/sections for NUT developers:

Intro:
    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch01.html

Concepts:
    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch02.html

Guided Tour:
    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch03.html

Branches and merging:
    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04.html

Properties:
    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html

For NUT, the read-only SVN URL is:
    svn://svn.debian.org/nut/trunk

(replace "trunk" with "branches/foo" or "tags/bar" as appropriate, but
in general, you don't need to check out trunk/ branches/ and tags/ all
at the same time)

The CVS "Development" tag is now "trunk" in SVN, and the "Stable" and
"Testing" tags are "branches/Stable" and "branches/Testing",
respectively. Feel free to make liberal use of the "branches" and
"tags" directory - with Subversion, tags can be deleted (to keep the
tags directory organized and relevant), but if you go back in the
repository timeline, you can still refer to the tags for diffs and
such.

The most up-to-date place to track revisions is here:
    http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/nut

Personally, I think wsvn is not as transparent as Trac, so I will be
synchronizing my local Trac setup from time to time: (yes, I will try
and automate this at some point)
    http://boxster.ghz.cc/projects/nut

If you are a developer, you can access the repository via:
    svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/trunk (note the extra '/svn/' before 'nut')

To avoid typing in your password all the time, you will want to add
your SSH public key(s) here:
    https://alioth.debian.org/account/editsshkeys.php

Of course, if your SSH private keys have a password, you will still
need to type that in every time. To reduce the number of times you
have to type your password, you may wish to investigate ssh-agent(1).

If you have mail filters for the commit messages, you may want to look
at this message:
    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-commits/2006-February/000360.html

Property changes (see the link to Chapter 7 section 2 above) will
replace "svn commit" with "svn propchange" in the subject.

Congratulations for making it to the end of this message. Hopefully
the transition will not be too difficult, and you will find SVN to be
a pleasant improvement over CVS. Email me with any questions.

--
- Charles Lepple