[Nut-upsdev] Setting up 'cervisia'

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Jan 31 14:06:58 UTC 2006

> As a heads-up, Arnaud and I have been discussing switching to
> Subversion after 2.0.3-final. Everything is in place, but we didn't
> want to do the changeover in the middle of the -pre series. So I
> wouldn't spend too much time on Cervisia unless you need it for other
> projects.

So far I have been able to make other people push my work into CVS, but
finally Arnaud convinced me that I could do this myself too. I have to
admit, it's not as bad as I feared it would be, although Cervisia is
driving me nuts with its poor feedback about what it is doing (and worse,
what not).

> I'm curious as to what you mean about "memorizing which files are
> changed"... if you run 'cvs -n update', you can see which files have
> been changed.

Ah! One learns something new every day. So far, the only commands I used
where 'checkout' and 'commit'. Now if you have a good idea how to append a
comment with the appropriate header (time and so) to CHANGES
automatically, you're my hero and will stop whining about configuring
Cervisia.

> SVN takes this one step further, and keeps cached copies
> of the checked-in files on your machine, so you don't need an active
> net connection to see which files are changed, or even doing diffs
> against the checked-out revision.

We'll see in time how that works out. One of the comments frequentlty seen
while searching for help about configuring Cervisia was the advise to
ditch it in favor of Subversion, so I think that might be a good idea.

> (I confess that I use TortoiseSVN when I get stuck doing Windows
> programming, though... please don't think I'm knocking the idea of
> using a GUI.)

I generally try to steer away from GUI's too, except in cases where I need
to remember many options and use them not frequent enough (and have to
look them up each time).

Regards,
Arjen