[Nut-upsdev] NUT shutdown on 'building alarm' (

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Sat Jun 3 20:30:33 UTC 2006

>> Thanks for your note.  Do I understand correctly that your suggestion
>> would involve running BOTH the bcmxcp driver (monitoring the Powerware
>> 9315 UPS) and also running the genericups driver (monitoring the
>> thermostat)?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If I have understood correctly, this is a good idea.  We're physicists
>> so the idea of wiring a thermostat to a serial port doesn't scare us.
>
> Good. I'm an electrical engineer myself and although I'm also one of the
> developers of NUT, I prefer this solution over modifying a whole bunch
> of other parts of the program. As someone else also mentioned, this will
> be quite an effort.

In fact it only requires adding two lines to bcmxcp.c.  The downside of
this is that we can't tell from SYSLOG if the machine was shut down due to
low battery or high temperature.  But we can tell this from the UPS
itself, since it keeps a log of events.

In any case we now have two different ways to do this:

(1) Wire thermostat to UPS alarm terminals and make a two-line
     modification to bcmxcp.c

(2) Wire thermostat to serial port, run generic driver, and modify
     config files to monitor this generic device.

Cheers,
 	Bruce