[Nut-upsdev] newhidups / Solaris 10 / APC RM1500

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Wed Mar 8 20:40:30 UTC 2006

Marty Lee wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> been using NUT for ages and recently upgraded to a new server; while
> I'm waiting
> for a USB->Serial adapter for Solaris to arrive, I thought I'd play
> with the
> newhidups, as the APC UPS I have has a USB port and the new server
> doesn't have
> a serial port....
>
> I've got Solaris 10 & newhidups working with the ugen driver up to a
> point,
> and that is a read overrun while probing the UPS itself. It seems
> this has been
> spotted before and there was a post back in February about problems
> reading UPS
> information from an APC UPS.
>
> Is there any progress on this issue ?

I assume you are referring to the problem where the UPS announces the
wrong length for its report descriptor (but lsusb reads the correct
length). I know the cause of this problem and how to fix it, but I am
away from my hardware (travelling) until the end of March, so I cannot
seriously work on fixing this bug until I am back.

> I had to make some simple updates to get newhidups to compile on
> Solaris; is
> anyone interested in getting these rolled into NUT and for a text
> document on
> how to configure nut/newhidups/Solaris 10 ?

Yes, please!

-- Peter