[Nut-upsdev] megatec driver and usb-to-serial converters

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Thu Nov 2 11:04:55 CET 2006

On 11/2/06, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> All the "serial over USB" devices that I have seen have used a
> manufacturer-specific hack. So connecting to a USB device should not
> usually be as simple as connecting to /dev/something.

I was under that impression too, but I saw a discussion about UMTS/3G
cards under Linux where it was mentioned that they most of them used a
regular serial-to-usb converter, which just wasn't recognized by the
kernel and required those two parameters to "usbserial", so I thought
"hey, maybe this works for USB UPSes too!"

--
Carlos Rodrigues