[Nut-upsdev] Krauler UP-M500VA investigation

Ralf Fassel ralfixx at gmx.de
Thu Nov 16 11:52:28 CET 2006

* Peter Selinger
| > > function of all the variables, as they all use standard names (except
| > > the top-level 00860004, which is likely a bug - should be 00840004).
| >
| > If it is a bug, it's not caused by software.
|
| Oh no, it's a bug in the UPS firmware, or at least a design flaw, in
| the sense of "does not comply with the USB Power Device Class
| specification". Both the Ablerex and the MEC have exactly the same.

Could this be deliberate?  Report '00860004', but answer only if asked
for '00840004'?  Would not surprise me if e.g. Windows ignores this
'00860004' and always asks for '00840004'...

Note that I don't really know how all this stuff works.  The above is
just a wild guess from an innocent bystander assuming that the device
is asked 'what have you got', it answers '00860004.xxx' and when you
ask it "well what is the setting of 00860004.xxx", it says "never
heard of it".  Had you asked "00840004.xxx" it would have repsonded
properly.

Just a wild guess.  Sorry for disturbing if it is nonsense altogether.

R'