[Nut-upsdev] Re: Serial Ports (Was Re: Common Power Management : NUT and HAL (stage 1))

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Sep 14 01:07:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 13:15 +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> >  3. We use print-ups-list to get a list of drivers, each entry
> >     contains:
> >     - driver name
> >     - some text blob explaining what the driver supports
> >     - a list of knobs, e.g. type, name and description of the
> >       knob, e.g. a list
> >     - e.g. a data structure like this
> >       {string driver_name,
> >        string driver_desc,
> >        array {string option_type,
> >               string option_name,
> >               string option_description} driver_options;
> >       }
>
> right, or about.
> currently, the print-ups-list tools generate various output format
> depending upon the param used (--fdi-hal, --udev-rules,
> --hotplug-usermap, ...).
> Your above mentionned format would better match the current
> drivers.list format [1] as it's the same info. If we really need
> different info, we might add a new param to print-ups-list to well
> format things.

Right. I only sketched how the data will look when it's stored in HAL,
how NUT provides this data is just an implementation detail, yes?

> >  4. User selects the driver and options. These are stored as
> >     HAL properties and will persist between HAL restarts.
>
> this is the point where we have to make a choice:
> 1) store as HAL props (needs persistance)
> 2) use nut libupsconfig and store as NUT config. Store only the device
> section as HAL props.
> As a side note, NUT drivers *will* have to read nut config mode to
> know, if these are launched by HAL, if they are allowed to start
> (mode={none,pm}) or not. This allow to integrate and enable the HAL
> bridge by default, while keeping the capacity to disable it if one
> want to switch to nut "classic" mode.

Hmm, I expect to just be able to launch the nut driver passing
everything it needs on the command line or in the environment. That way,
we don't need configuration files at all which makes things much easier
I think. Is this possible?

Cheers,
David