[Nut-upsdev] Re: Serial Ports (Was Re: Common Power Management : NUT and HAL (stage 1))

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Sep 14 02:39:00 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 10:34, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > @David: I remember seing something about PnP in HAL. Is there any
> > *serial* PnP support, which is the thing that interest us?
>
> No, but we can add this. The way I understand is that it just attempts
> send a command on the serial port and gets back one or more values.
>
> What we do with this data we'd have to look at, I think each HAL serial
> prober would simply add a new property

You need to toggle RTS & DTR while watching DSR and monitoring the serial
output.
http://perso.orange.fr/pierrelib/pnp/PnP_External_Serial_v1.00.pdf

There's a partial implementation in FreeBSD's moused although I don't actually
have any PnP serial hardware to test it with :)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/moused/moused.c?rev=1.77&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Around line 2786 (pnpgets)

That said I imagine it's probably not going to be too useful to you because of
the license.

> Also: we certainly can't run serial PNP probing automatically, only in
> response to a user choice of deciding to probe for serial ports. I say
> this because maybe it will crash some old devices or some that don't
> support Serial PNP. This is correct, yes?

Yes..
An APC BackUPS (or SmartUPS with a grey dumb cable) will power it's load off
if RTS is held high for a second (I think).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum