[Nut-upsdev] NUT and libhid

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 23:41:53 UTC 2007

was: Re: [Nut-upsdev] usbhid-ups.h: hid_info_t structure

On 8/2/07, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> All this needs to be replaced by a re-designed, cleaned-up data
> structure. It's on my to-do list, but nothing on that list will get
> done by me anytime soon. As nothing is technically broken, and the
> changes are prone to introducing subtle bugs, this is not high on my
> list anyway at the moment.

I haven't brought this up recently because I don't have time to commit
to this sort of redesign at the moment, but it could be useful to
merge some of the HID code in NUT with libhid. Accessing PDC HID UPSes
was the original target application of libhid, but Arnaud ended up
pulling some old libhid code into NUT before it was a proper library.

One of the libhid goals was to make the backend modular, so that we
don't have as much of a mess when switching between USB and SHUT.
Right now, libhid only uses libusb, but it could also be an interface
to SHUT, the OS X HID API, or even Win32.

I would be willing to do a good bit of the porting work necessary to
merge the two trees and fix the HID drivers, but as I said, I won't
have time to do that right now. Also, I don't want to push this if the
other developers don't think the advantages outweigh the
disadvantages.

Thoughts?

home page: http://libhid.alioth.debian.org/

--