[Nut-upsdev] instcmd "beeper.off "

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Aug 13 20:19:21 UTC 2007

Peter Selinger wrote:

>> As stated before, on a UPS that only supports muting the beeper (ie, that
>> has no command for permanently silencing it), the 'beeper.on' command is a
>> no-op (the beeper will always be enabled).
> I have two such UPS, and the beeper.on command is not a no-op. It
> undoes a previous beeper.mute command.

Well, I guess we would need to keep this then, to allow people that
muted their beepers accidentally, to switch them on again during the
event that caused them to beep in the first place. Oh well, I won't
loose to much sleep over that... %^)

>> Since having 'beeper.on' suggests there is a 'beeper.off' command
>> also (as you rightfully stated before), I think that if 'beeper.off'
>> is not available, 'beeper.on' should not be listed either.
>
> The beeper.on command was always badly named, because of course it
> does not turn the beeper on unless there is a reason to beep. It only
> enables the beeper.
>
> How about three new commands:
>
> beeper.enable
> beeper.disable
> beeper.mute

I'm good with it.

> For backward compatibility, I would then also map beeper.on to
> beeper.enable, and beeper.off to beeper.disable or beeper.mute as
> appropriate for a given device.

Done. I've chosen to do this in the instcmd() functions, so that when
asked for a list of supported commands, only the new ones will be
reported. The old ones still work though.