[Nut-upsdev] suspend to ram

n xellos at bluebottle.com
Wed Aug 15 11:12:50 UTC 2007

well i was really talking about suspend to ram, i do it on another pc with
windows and it about tripples the battery runtime on that ups (it was at 5
min and when the system suspended it jumped up to 74 min even then it would
go to 73 then jump back to 74 min  i didnt really see it drop ) ,  as far as
i know all the ups has to power in that state is the ram (about 10w~) on my
script i run sync to hdds first to write any data to them then i suspend it
to ram everything shuts off , hdds,fans (inc power supply fan), video
card,..etc i think the only thing on is the ram and the led on the
mainboard, i dont care about open programs being lost since its mosly used
for a webserver , my only concern is lost data / curuption , can this happen
in suspend to ram if i sync the disks first?

i was thinking about using upssched to suspend it about 12+ mins before
battery runs out that way i would maybe get about 30-40+ minutes out of the
battery, i have even heard you can unplug the pc while its suspended and it
will run for awhile before powering off (i havent tried it though ), but i
can undserstand that if the power didnt come back on it would be a bad
shutdown

i might take a look into suspend to disk but it seems more complicated to
start up the system