[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] Powerware 9155 with SNMP card

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed Aug 15 12:12:54 UTC 2007

>>> The first part now really add instant commands... The second part add
>>> ASN_COUNTER as type for data we might get from the ups (needed for the
>>> number of nie failures one can retrieve from the ups).
>> No problem here, looks fine to me.
> let's wait for arnaud to double check and then think about commiting :-)

Why? I see no reason not to commit these changes.

1) the changes are small
2) they don't change existing behaviour
3) there is no impact on other drivers
4) we're in the development tree
5) the snmp-ups driver is flagged 'experimental'

All lights are green. In fact, I would like to get the opinion of other
users with similar systems. The easiest way to get that, is to modify the
development version. I'll commit this later today, with some small
modifications to make it conform to the NUT standards.

[...]

>> The above is a huge hack though, the real solution would be to integrate
>> the SNMP, HID and SHUT drivers and the way how the latter two use the
>> status flags (which is far more flexible than the above kludge).
> Wasn't that on discussion before?

Yes. But that will probably take some time, as this requires a
considerable amount of development effort. Changing a few lines of code
takes a lot less effort than rewriting a whole driver. I guess it might
take at least a year or so, before we would have something of production
quality. I don't want to keep you waiting that long.

Eindhoven - The Netherlands