[Nut-upsdev] parallel redundant ups systems and shutdown cmd handling

Bernd Markgraf Bernd.Markgraf at med.ovgu.de
Wed Aug 15 14:48:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

while looking into adding instant commands to turn on/off the load,
reboot, shutdown etc I came across some questions:

- XUPS.mib isn't really clear whether turning off the load affects only
  this single UPS one sends the command to or if it affects all UPS in
  this system (in my case 2 UPS). Does anyone happen to know how
  issuing a "load.off" would behave?

- XUPS.mib only brings OutputOn/OffDelay, everything else can be (has
  to be) handled using the IETF mib. Here it is cleary stated if the
  action affects a single UPS or the whole system. So it would make
  sense to limit the action to the ups being called, but on the other
  hand provide an additional set of instcmds to handle whole ups systems
  (i.e. load.off.system, shutdown.reboot.system and the like).
  One might later choose which version to issue when shutting down due
  to a low battery. I'm thinking of the case when communication to one
  ups in the system is broken, but it still supplies power to the load.
  In that case it would be desirable to shutdown both (all) UPS in that
  system. Any thoughts on this?

Assuming we differentiate between shutting down a single UPS or the
whole system one would need to set more than one OID to the right value.
As far as I see now the handling of instcmds in snmp-ups only allows
setting one OID at the time?

  Bernd