[Nut-upsdev] OMRON BX35F

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Aug 19 09:53:11 UTC 2007

Please keep the mailinglist CC-ed.

> On 8/19/07, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I have just got OMRON BX35F. Only object files and usage information
>> is
>> > included.
>>
>> And you didn't checkout NUT support *before* you bought it. :-)
>
> No, i did have the compat list with me in the shop while buying.
> Shop had only 2 of them (the same maker:) Going to the not-village
> was not an option due to time constraints. Now I have it running
> and that serves at least for preventing lightning surges.
>
> And, hey, maybe I can contribute to nut with my hw.
>
>> Did you already try existing drivers with it?
>
> Tried with the following:
>
> [test]
> driver = newhidups
> port = auto
> desc = "testing"
>
> if [ -x /usr/local/bin/upsdrvctl ]; then
>     echo -n ' nut'
>     /usr/local/bin/upsdrvctl start > /dev/null 2>&1

Well, great. You directed all output we might get from attempting to start
the driver, directly to /dev/null. How are we supposed to see what is
going on, if you blindfold us? :-)

>     /usr/local/sbin/upsd > /dev/null 2>&1

Same here...

>     /usr/local/sbin/upsmon > /dev/null 2>&1

...and here. In general, sending output to /dev/null is not a good idea if
you're trying to get something to work.

> fi
>
> syslogd got:
> upsd[3802]: Can't connect to UPS [test] (test): No such file or directory.

In all likelyhood, the driver failed to start. It probably gave a hint
where to look, but this ended up in /dev/null.

> Now, I know this might look lame - guy got err and started shouting.
> It is not like that. I have intention to get this device into the
> supported hw list, so I would need your help at some stage anyway.

In that case, please run the driver again, with debugging enabled:

<enterpathhere>/newhidups -a test -DDDDD auto

It probably will fail to start, but at least we know why.

>> What kind of interface does it have?
>
> USB.

In that case, we want the output of 'lsusb -v' or something similar too.

>> Have you tried snooping the communication between the UPS and the
>> bundled software?
>
> No, not yet. First I have decided to ask you if it isn't one of those
> really
> ugly machines (as you know more about it than me) and if it is worth
> doing it.

I don't know. So far all the information you provided is the make and model.

>> Apparently *you* have.
>
> Well, I do. I do appreciate your time and do understand the situation.
> But, well, maybe I can become useful.
>
>> Depending on what the above results in, we may or
>> may not be interested in supporting it.
>
> I have tried it with OpenBSD -current. Let me know what OS
> environment and what info you prefer and I will see what I
> can do. I am not a complete newbie despite it might seem so : )

Upgrading to a more recent version (preferably the development version)
might be a good idea. Otherwise, showing the version information of your
OS and NUT would be helpful too.