[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1073 - in trunk: .

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri Aug 24 12:31:46 UTC 2007

> Well, almost. There is a theoretical possibility that a device, which
> is not the same as the original device disconnected, matches all the
> data in reopen_matcher, but doesn't match subdriver_matcher for some,
> yet unimplemented, reason.

OK, well keep the chains as they are.

> The logic in libusb_open should be that a device has to match *all*
> the matchers in a chain, because we need to chain the regex_matcher
> and subdriver_matcher in this way.

Yep, I broke that part of libusb_open. Will correct it. ;-)

> By adding the reopen_matcher to the front, we are guaranteed to make
> the check strictly more strict. I agree that this is currently
> redundant w.r.t. regex_matcher, but there is virtually no cost to this
> redundancy.

You're probably right here. Since it doesn't require any additional I/O,
the impact is likely to be negliable.

> Also, the idea was that eventually, other mechanisms could be added to
> regex_matcher, for example, one could require the device to be on a
> particular USB bus (roughtly, a particular physical port).

That is already implemented, as far as I can see:

	regex_array[5] = getval("bus");

> Or some
> vendor-specific device might have a serial number that is stored not
> in the usual place, but in some vendor-specific place. The
> regex-matcher (but perhaps not in general the reopen_matcher) could be
> extended to look for such information.

We could also create a function in the subdrivers, that would be appended
to the list of matchers, once we have found a subdriver. Subdrivers not
needing this would simply provide a stub that always matches. This would
allow subdrivers the freedom to look anywhere in the UPS for data to match
on.

> This info wouldn't necessarily go into reopen_matcher, so it would
> still make sense to check both of them upon reopening.

Agreed.

> Logically, on reopen, a device should (1) match all the original
> criteria, and (2) according to some measure, should be the same as the
> disconnected device. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is
> only a coincidence that (1) is a subset of (2).

Indeed.

> Also, there's another flaw in the reopening code, I think. If we try
> and fail to reopen, and fall back into the "open any matching device",
> then should we also create (or update) a new reopen_matcher? If there
> is another disconnect at a later point, the question is: should we try
> to reconnect to the original device, or to the one we most recently
> connected to? I think most recent would make more sense, because all
> the variables would not have to be re-parsed.

I'm not too happy about silently connecting to a device we *know* is
different from the one we connected to on startup. So no, I don't think it
is a good idea to re-create a new reopen_matcher if we reconnected to a
device through MODE_OPEN.

I understand that there are devices that look different upon reconnecting
and that's why we should allow to fallback to MODE_OPEN to make sure we
can reconnect to those. But if we have the choice to connect to a device
that matches the initial reopen_matcher (the one we created at startup)
and the device that we were connected to last, the first should be more
favored.

I even think we should add a 'relaxed_reopen' flag (or something like
that) that would need to be set to allow fallback from MODE_REOPEN to
MODE_OPEN. I would rather see a warning about stale data, than the driver
connecting to some other device. Broken UPS'es should not be made the
norm, although we should try our best to workaround known problems.