[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1074 - in trunk: .

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 17:40:47 UTC 2007

On 8/26/07, Doug Reynolds <mav at wastegate.net> wrote:
> I not really familiar with how the USB protocol works.  However, if it
> were possible, would it make sense to poll the USB for it's serial
> number in order to keep track of where the ups is on the system?  I am
> sure not all ups include the serial number in their report, but many
> times I have unplugged devices on my system to have them be reinstalled
> under a different port (I can't alway remember which physical port I
> have everything plugged into).

If your UPS returns a serial number in the device descriptor (e.g. it
shows up in the output of 'lsusb -v' in Linux), you can pass the
'serial=' regex to the usbhid-ups driver to match the serial number.

However, the vast majority of USB UPSes either do not expose their
serial number over USB, or you need to perform several other setup
steps to connect to the UPS in order to retrieve any sort of ID number
(as is the case for the user-settable ID on rackmount Tripp Lite
models).

--
- Charles Lepple