[Nut-upsdev] USB Problem

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 07:15:21 CET 2007

On 2/8/07, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/8/07, Greg Grotsky <spikeygg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Feb  8 19:09:34 mythbox upsd[8986]: Startup successful
> > Feb  8 19:09:39 mythbox kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
> > dereference at 0000000000000078 RIP:
>
> It's apparently a kernel bug. (You won't see that message if it's a
> NULL pointer in user-space code like NUT - it'll say something like
> "Segmentation fault" in your terminal, not in the syslog.)
>
> Unfortunately, you probably won't have much luck getting the Linux USB
> stack maintainers to look at this because of the closed-source nvidia
> module that is loaded.
>
> Do you see any kernel messages right before the NUT "check driver"
> messages?

I just checked it out and shurenuf, the ups became disconnected just before
the messages began.  But now I think I know what caused it...

I wasn't setting the permissions of my devices before this afternoon (I have
it working now, should have read Pete's 1st email thoroughly [or the INSTALL
file]) and stupidly, I created the boot script first.  This was loading the
driver (using upsdrvctl) and loading the daemon (upsd) one right after the
next.  Well, they loaded and spit out some errors because they couldn't
access the device due to ownership issues.  Once I logged in I would close
them down, change the permissions manually, then try to start them back up
and that's when it gave me the crap.  For some reason doing that was really
bad.

I have the .rules file in place now and it's correctly setting the
permissions on usb detection (udev is pretty cool).  I think it's working
now.  Thanks for all your help!

-Greg