[Nut-upsdev] Belkin F6C100-UNV + newhidups

James Rose james+nut-upsdev at stubbornroses.com
Fri Feb 16 17:52:10 CET 2007

Mr. Selinger,

I'm CCing you directly since it appears (insofar as I can tell) that you
are one of the delelopers for the newhidups driver.

This is the third time I've submitted this (hence the CC this time).
Hopefully mailman takes it.  I've tweaked my SPF records, and I'm hoping
that was the problem.

My sincere apologies if this has gone through and I just haven't seen it
(could someone mail me if they are aware of what my problem is).

If I'm just being flat annoying, please let me know that too =)

-------------------------------

I've been running a Belkin F6C100-UNV for a couple of years, and just
recently saw that nut might work with it.

I'll fully admit the following:

1) I'm not completely certain that my UPS is working properly (I think the
batteries are failing [which is why I'd like this to work])
2) I'm running debian Etch with Nut packages from Debian Unstable,
specifically versions 2.0.5-3 of the debian packages:
nut nut-cgi nut-dev nut-usb

Here's my /etc/nut/ups.conf
[myups]
        driver = newhidups
        port = auto
#       vendorid=050d
#       productid=0910
        desc="belkin f6c100"
#       explore

/etc/nut/upsd.users (pulled from a howto somewhere off the web)
[admin]
        password=password
        allowfrom=127.0.0.1
        actions=set
        instcmds=all

relevant snippets from syslog:
------------------------------
Feb 11 16:37:37 localhost kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: wakeup
Feb 11 16:37:37 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using
ohci_hcd and address 3
Feb 11 16:37:37 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1
choice
Feb 11 16:37:37 localhost kernel: hiddev96: USB HID v1.00 Device [
UPS] on usb-0000:00:02.2-2
------------------------------

running:
# /lib/nut/newhidups -u nut -D -a myups
Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 (2.0.5)

debug level is '1'
This particular Belkin device (050d/0910) is not (or perhaps not yet)
supported by newhidups. Try running the driver with the '-x productid=0910'
option. Please report your results to the NUT developer's mailing list.

No matching HID UPS found

It said I should report this, so here I am =)

Note: it was rather tricky to determine what the Belkin vendor ID was.  I
just tried what someone else used for a different belkin model, and
plugged it in.  If there is a command that can tell you these things, it
would be helpful to know (I'm not saying it's not in the docs, but I
couldn't find it, esp. in man newhidups).

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to install from source and add
any tweaks, debug, etc.

Thanks,

James