[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r831 - in trunk: .

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Tue Feb 27 22:35:14 CET 2007

Arjen de Korte wrote:

> Peter Selinger wrote:
>
> >> I had expected that --without-usb implies --without-hotplug-dir and
> >> --without-udev-dir.
> >
> > The problem is something like
> >
> > ./configure --without-all --with-driver=newhidups
>
> No, that's not the problem. If I run
>
> 	./configure --without-all --with-driver=genericups
>
> I get
>
> 	checking whether to install hotplug rules... using /etc/hotplug
> 	checking whether to install udev rules... using /etc/udev
>
> 	[...]
>
> 	Configuration summary:
> 	enable SSL development code: yes
> 	enable IPv6 support: yes
> 	build CGI programs: yes
> 	build upsclient library: no
> 	build serial drivers: no
> 	build SNMP drivers: no
> 	build USB drivers: no
> 	enable HAL support: no
> 	only build specific drivers: genericups
>
> At installation time it will happily proceed to install the hotplug and
> udev scripts. So --without-usb currently *doesn't* imply
> --without-hotplug-dir and --without-udev-dir. That's what's counter
> intuitive.

Sorry, I meant: if we change configuration so that --without-usb
implies --without-hotplug-dir and --without-udev-dir, then the problem
will *become*

	 ./configure --without-all --with-driver=newhidups

Because that will then not cause the hotplugging stuff to be
installed.

In principle, there is no reason to install the hotplugging stuff
automatically (for example, we don't create /var/state/ups either; the
user has to do it by hand). In practice, this has been the source of a
large percentage of support requests recently, and it is getting
tiresome to repeat, again and again on the mailing list, "your problem
is a permissions problem; please install the hotplugging scripts".
So I rather prefer them to be installed too often, rather than too
few times.

Perhaps a simple solution is to make the ups group, as well as the ups
user, configurable. Actually, I don't understand why the hotplugging
script uses these permissions:

-rw-rw----  1 root ups  52 Feb 27 17:32 002

and not these other, more portable ones:

-rw-------  1 ups  root 52 Feb 27 17:32 002

Here "ups" will be replaced by the configured user, of course.

Is there a reason for these permissions, anyone? Would it break the
Debian packaging (from which the hotplug scripts were originally
taken) if we used a user instead of a group?

For those in Europe, good night! -- Peter