[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-Patches][304310] IP v6 support

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 15:10:17 CET 2007

On 1/5/07, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org> wrote:
> Arnaud wrote:
> > that's maybe where we disagree: for me, the patch tracker is both for
> > bugfixes and new features. But we might duplicate it with an entry in
> > the feature, point the patch...

Err... no need to have two separate threads for each
feature+patch-file, one on a feature tracker, and one on the patch
tracker. If we were using Bugzilla or a more advanced ITS that could
easily link issues to each other, that would be a different story.

> For me, it's a matter of which activities should receive priority:
>
> 1) bugreports with patch (if someone took the time to investigate what's
> wrong and provides a solution, they should receive the highest priority)
>
> 2) bugreports without patch (we should first fix existing bugs, before
> introducing new ones) :-)
>
> 3) feature requests (with or without patch)

IMHO, since it seems like most of the reports coming in are
essentially feature requests (in the form of supporting new models and
protocols), I think the third category needs to be split somehow.

> > More generally, if we have a patch, either for a new feature or a
> > bugfix, a part of the job has been done, and that makes the difference
> > with the feature and bug trackers.
>
> http://www.allwords.com/query.php?SearchType=0&Keyword=patch
>
> 9. computing.
>       A set of instructions added to a program to correct an error.

Semantics... this definition sounds like it was from back in the day
where "patch" meant a binary fix, not a textual list of differences
between source files. For reference, when I say "patch", I mean
"context diff"

> In my opinion a feature request is not a patch and also should not be
> treated with the same priority as a 'real' patch. I find it very confusing
> to see these two separate categories listed under the same tab.

Do you have a suggestion for naming the trackers, assuming that for
orthogonality of categories, we should have a tracker for each
combination of (bug fix, feature request) and (patch included, no
patch provided)?

--
- Charles Lepple