[Nut-upsdev] TrippLite USB UPS

Patrick Krepps cso at satcharters.com
Mon Jan 29 04:02:21 CET 2007

Hi Peter,

I think we are pretty much there on this Tripp Lite UPS. All of the instant
commands appear to work as expected, and the LB flag is set when the battery
charge falls below 25%. I've included the full upsc output at the end of this
message when the battery was at 23%. The only two (minor) problems I see are
the battery voltage still off by a factor of 10, and a message that shows up
when I start upsdrvctl (/usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl-u root start):
dstate_setflags: base variable (ups.test.result) does not exist

Let me know if you need anything else,
Patrick

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 11:27 pm, you wrote:
> Patrick Krepps wrote:
> > Hi Peter, I've done the "svn update", and finally got to do a bit of
> > testing and playing. So far things are looking pretty good. The UPS
> > status is "OL" (not sure why it showed "OB" yesterday), and all of
> > the commands seem to function as advertised.
> >
> > > Congratulations, your device is now 60% supported. I have added the
> > > product ID and most of the new data paths.
> > >
> > > You can do "svn update" and build the driver. It should now run out of
> > > the box and you can follow the instructions in INSTALL to set up your
> > > system.
> > >
> > > Before it is 100% supported, I need you to:
> > >
> > > - run upsd and verify the output of "upsc" and report anything
> > >   suspicious (such as a voltage of 500V, or a temperature of 70
> > >   Celsius, or anything like that). [10%]
> >
> > There are a couple of outputs that I am not sure if they are right or
> > not:
> >
> > battery.runtime: 1910		# Is that seconds?
>
> Yes, seconds. See docs/new-names.txt

You mean read the darn documentation!? (I usually read as much as I can before
I open my mouth. Obviously not this time though - sorry about that)

> > battery.voltage: 5.2			# Off by a factor of 10?
>
> Right. Another TrippLite device had a bug, reporting a battery voltage
> that was 10 times too high. I compensated by inserting a division by
> 10. Your device does not have the bug, so I need to invent a more
> general fix.

I am still using revision 777, so if you've done anything regarding this I
won't show it yet.

> > ups.power: 302.0
> > ups.power.nominal: 1500		# Big difference in readings (?)
>
> This means that your currently attached equipment uses 302 VA of
> power, whereas 1500 VA is the maximum allowed. You could in principle
> power 5 times more equipment from this UPS (not recommended of course,
> as peak consumption can be much higher than typical consumption).

I should have realized that was what this was. But wait, if I have that much
capacity left over I can go ahead and plug my LaserJet into the UPS too,
can't I? (Don't laugh - I've seen it)

> > I've included the full output of upsc both on line and on battery below.
> >
> > > - also in "upsc", verify that ups.status shows the "OB" flag when the
> > >   UPS is on battery and the "LB" flag when the battery is low. Also
> > >   "OL" when the UPS is on line power. These are used by upsmon to
> > >   decide when to power down your machine. (Do not run upsmon yet when
> > >   you perform this test - you don't want your machine to actually
> > >   power off). [10%]
> > >
> > > - check if all or some of the instant commands are working. Candidates
> > >   are:
> > >
> > >   test.battery.start.quick
> > >   test.battery.start.deep
> > >   test.battery.stop
> > >
> > >   beeper.on    (these will only have an effect if the UPS is on
> > > battery) beeper.off   (these will only have an effect if the UPS is on
> > > battery)
> >
> > The above commands work just fine. I will have to wait until this weekend
> > to test the LB flag, and the rest of this. The instant commands logged
> > success in syslog, and there are no other log entries that look like
> > possible problems.
>
> Great.

ups.status: OB DISCHRG LB VRANGE

> > >   *** WARNING: BEFORE TESTING THE FOLLOWING, PLUG YOUR COMPUTER INTO
> > >   *** THE WALL, NOT INTO THE UPS. Plug a desk lamp or similar into the
> > > UPS *** to see if the load is on or off.
> > >
> > >   load.off
> > >   load.on
> > >   shutdown.return
> > >   shutdown.stop
> > >
> > >   [10%]
> > >
> > > - finally, check whether the "-k" option to "usbhid-ups" shuts off the
> > >   load. *** WARNING: SAME AS ABOVE ***. This is necessary for a proper
> > >   shutdown process. [10%]

Killed it dead.

> > > If all tests are positive, your UPS is 100% supported, and I will
> > > remove the "experimental" from data/driver.list. Otherwise, we might
> > > have to tinker a bit more.
> >
> > I will get back to you as soon as I have a chance to finish. In the
> > meantime, let me know if you need me to do anything else.
>
> Excellent. So it's about 86% supported so far (10% for OB/LB, 8% for
> upsc minus the voltage problem, 5% for instant commands, 0% for -k).
> I'll await your further report on the latter.
>
> -- Peter

# Latest full upsc output:

# /usr/bin/ups/bin/upsc su1500 at localhost
battery.charge: 23
battery.charge.low: 25
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.runtime: 363
battery.temperature: 21
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 4.6
battery.voltage.nominal: 48.0
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.productid: 4003
driver.parameter.vendorid:09ae
driver.version: 2.1.0
driver.version.data: TrippLite HID 0.1 (experimental)
driver.version.internal: 0.30
input.frequency: 0.0
input.transfer.high: 138.0
input.transfer.low: 65.0