[Nut-upsdev] NUT Documentation project

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Jun 1 16:48:15 UTC 2007

Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
> The various aims of this sub project are:
> - to consolidate the various information scattered between nut/doc/,
> the website, and the not yet written content,
> - to have a doc system that allow easy maintenance / update (like
> wysiwyg, using ooo2dbk / wiki systems, ...)
> - to split the doc into a User and a Developer Guides
> - maybe to create a quickstart guide (very simple, ie 2/3 pages, only
> addressing the basic things and pointing the full User Guide
> otherwise)
> - to use the html generated for the website,
>
> Some more notes:
> - we will have to emphasize on HAL,
> - we will also have to prepare the field for the nut configuration
> tool/lib (that will greatly improve the configuration process...)
> - the file attached is a draft of the chapters re ordering, and few
> thoughts.
>
> I let you check all that, and get back with questions, thoughts and comments

None of this is difficult, except for WYSIWYG -- there aren't really
any good WYSIWYG DocBook editors yet.  Nor, to my knowledge, is
there a wiki-markup-to-DocBook translator.

I could budget time for a DocBook up-conversion of your existing
stuff, and a reorg/edit pass, late next week.  This will happen
quickly, as I have good tools and a *lot* of relevant experience -- I
think three or four days of concentrated work will do most of it.  You
can get a good idea of what to expect as results by looking at the
gpsd website and white papers: <http://gpsd.berlios.de/>.

I don't want to do this while you're in final pre-release mode, though
-- it would be better if the dev group could review my changes at
leisure rather than having a fait accompli thrown at them at the last
minute.  You should ship *before* I start serious work and plan on a
point release in another month or so specifically to get the new
documentation on the street.

I'll need commit access to the repo and write access to the website.
I'm now esr-guest on alioth.