[Nut-upsdev] NUT Documentation project

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 21:09:19 UTC 2007

On 6/3/07, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/6/1, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com>:
> > Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
> > None of this is difficult, except for WYSIWYG -- there aren't really
> > any good WYSIWYG DocBook editors yet.  Nor, to my knowledge, is
> > there a wiki-markup-to-DocBook translator.
>
> aren't there some bridge to docbook, from tex, odf, ... that would
> allow wysiwyg edition?
>
> Anyway, the aim is not to convert especially to docbook, but to have a
> system that allow easy and wysiwyg edition / maintenance, along with
> the generation of various output format (txt, html, pdf). Any clue?
> (Maybe Tex?! )
>
> Though I'm still hesitating on the output formats:
> - html is mandatory,
> - ps/pdf is optional,
> - txt may be optional.

What about reStructuredText?

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html

I think DocBook is a great idea in theory, but most of us don't have
enough free time to do it justice.

HTML is a definite yes, and PDF is easily generated from the latex output.

The main advantage to me is that the input text is very readable, even
without syntax highlighting.

Plus, docutils (the package that does the conversions) is fairly
widespread, IIRC.

--
- Charles Lepple