[Nut-upsdev] Starting drivers without entry in 'ups.conf'

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:22:27 UTC 2007

Hy Arjen,

2007/6/4, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:
> Until the release of nut-2.0.5 it was possible to have a working
> configuration without configuring anything in 'ups.conf'. Since then,
> this no longer works, as the server will only look for driver sockets
> for UPSes that have been configured in 'ups.conf' (since the socket is
> named after the UPSname).
>
> Drivers will use the old naming scheme '<driver>-<port>' if the UPSname
> can't be found in 'ups.conf'. From time to time, people are confused by
> this, especially since this used to work up to (and including)
> nut-2.0.4. Some distributions even offered this as the standard way of
> configuring single UPS systems.
>
> Now that this is no longer possible, I think it is better to refuse to
> start in case the UPSname can't be found, to prevent problems later on
> in the configuration process. Any thoughts on this?

since this behavior has been kept for debug purpose, this suits me fine.
It will avoid many users confusion, and is not a big loss for us, the
developers.
Moreover, this will force packagers to update their legacy scripts.

So, you can apply your change to both the trunk and the Testing branch.

thanks,
-- Arnaud