[Nut-upsdev] CHRG / DISCHRG status

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 21:11:59 UTC 2007

(was: false alerts/shutdown)

2007/6/18, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:

> > driver.name: newhidups
>
> [...]
>
> > ups.status: OL CHRG
>
> Euhm, there is no status 'CHRG' according to 'docs/new-drivers.txt'
> folks. If you feel the need to create new status flags, at the very
> least mention them in the section 'Status data' in this file. Unless you
> document it somewhere, it's of no use to clients.
>
> [soapbox]
> Before doing so, ask yourself (and preferably, you fellow developers) if
> it is really worth the effort to put it in 'ups.status'. Unless setting
> this flag requires immediate action by clients, consider to export the
> value in a variable that can be queried by clients at their discretion.
> And that your not just duplicating something else.
> [/soapbox]

fully right, and mea culpa.
This goes back a long time ago, and I never got back on this.

since this is a battery information, it clearly belongs to the battery
collection.
but I still hesitate between:
- battery.charging (yes/no): simply address the CHRG / DISCHRG problem.
- battery.status: would wrap a bigger scope and complete ups.status:
 CHRG       - The battery is charging
 DISCHRG - The battery is discharging
 RB             - The battery needs to be replaced
and possibly duplicating:
 LB             - Low battery

Though RB and LB fits fine into ups.status.

Thoughts and comments?

Ubuntu Media Center (UMC) Project Leader - https://launchpad.net/~umc-team