[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r831 - in trunk: .

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 21:02:28 CET 2007

On 3/3/07, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org> wrote:
> Charles Lepple wrote:
>
> >> If this is the case (and I'll take your word it), why do we recommend to
> >> let the NUT user own both the statepath and the serial port it connects
> >> to (if any) in the INSTALL file? We probably should change this as well.
> >
> > Hm, hadn't checked INSTALL recently.
> >
> > from 2.0.5 on Debian:
> >
> > $ ls -ld /var/run/nut
> > drwxrwx--- 2 root nut 168 2007-02-05 20:48 /var/run/nut/
>
> I kind of expected that. Do you have a chance to look at the permissions
> for serial ports as well?

configured manually - see below.

> > Since the state socket is created with owner "nut", there's not much
> > we can do there.
>
> I doubt if that would have any merit if it would have been possible.
>
> > But you're probably right about updating INSTALL.
>
> I prepared something already, I'll just wait for a confirmation that we
> really should change the ownership on the serial port(s) to root:ups as
> well.

>From README.Debian, since users might install the NUT core without
having the UPS connected locally (I presume):

(2) serial port permissions
    The nut user need to be added to the dialout group for the serial
    communication to work.  The following command accomplishes this:
      addgroup nut dialout

    This is not done by default for security reason.

--
- Charles Lepple