[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r831 - in trunk: .

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Mar 5 15:57:16 CET 2007

Charles Lepple wrote:

> In general, when you want to isolate the amount of damage that a
> process can do, you don't give that process ownership of a file,
> device node or socket - you just give it group read-write permission.

I just committed the change that makes --with-group mandatory if
--with-user is given (and vice versa). But I am still don't understand
the argument in favour of using groups, not users, for file
ownership. What damage can a process do by owning a file, rather than
having read-write permission to it? Is there something that file
owners can do that group members can't? Changing the file's
permissions, perhaps? -- Peter