[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r879 - in trunk: . drivers

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 03:47:57 CET 2007

On 3/21/07, Julius Malkiewicz <jpmalkiewicz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Arnaud,
>
> > more generally, and as told previously, don't hesitate to integrate
> > the new sec driver, merging support for gamatronic, into the trunk.
> > it's a development tree, so don't be shy if your work isn't yet finished ;)
>
>  I'm just about ready to commit a large change to the gamatronic/sec
> driver, but first, a question about order:
>
>    The plan is to retire the 'gamatronic' driver in favour of a new
> sec driver, based on the current gamatronic one, with significant
> changes to bring it up to full compliance with the SEC spec.  I'm not
> sure how to order this change - I see that I can first commit my
> changes to the current gamatronic driver, and then rename it to the
> sec  driver - or I can rename first, then apply my changes.  I'd
> prefer the first option (as it means least amount of work for greatest
> effect) ... but perhaps others would like to see the second option, as
> it does give a 'clean break' to the line of development - but does
> mean more work for me in the short-term (work that I'll need to do
> eventually, regardless of order :)).
>
> What the preference?  I'm guessing from previous email(s) that it is
> to put a sec driver in, leave gamatronic alone, and then retire
> gamatronic once the sec has matured, right?

Just my $0.02, but you can also do a 'svn copy' to create the sec
driver, and apply your changes there (copying them over from the
gamatronic driver, if you want to leave that in the repository as-is).
That would preserve the history of the sec driver as having been
derived from gamatronic, but then again, an 'svn mv' to rename it
would do that as well.

It is also not a problem if you want to work on a branch. That might
be good if you plan to make small changes to the sec driver, but want
to keep a "working development version" in the trunk.

I think, however, that most people who are tracking the NUT trunk are
interested in helping debug drivers for whatever reason, so dropping
the gamatronic driver in the trunk would not be bad (given that you
have announced your plans here on the list).

If/when a 2.0.6 release is needed (before the trunk stabilizes into
2.2), that would be from branches/Testing, so that's probably where
more caution is in order.

--
- Charles Lepple