[Nut-upsdev] NUT-2.0.5: newhidups on RedHat ES4

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:12:38 CET 2007

Hi Patrick,

first, did you see my mail on the 64b issue?
I've made a test with a Pulsar M2200 on a 32b system without problem too.
Next step is to test with this unit and the 64b system...
thanks to send me the required details for hunting this.

2007/3/27, Patrick Agrain <patrick.agrain at alcatel-lucent.fr>:
> Hello everybody,
>
> After succeeded in "tuning" nut-2.0.0's hidups and 2.0.3's newhidups on
> customized Linux kernels, we are now facing a new challenge : trying to
> install nut-2.0.5 on a RedHat ES4 which is based on a 2.6.9 kernel.
>
> I picked up the 2.0.5 source package and follow the INSTALL doc until step
> 6. So far so good.

Why not using updated RPMs? For example:
http://opensource.mgeups.com/beta/rhfc/

> RH ES4 is managed by udev, therefore I presume we don't have to care about
> which /dev the UPS will be linked to.
> But, instead, we have to implement the udev rules.
>
> Am I right ?

right, but as you discovered, the hotplug to udev transition has not
been a smooth road...

> Using the furnished udev rules in scripts/hotplug-ng ( and rename it to
> 52-nut.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d ) result in syntax errors in the syslog.
> These errors come from :
> a) the "==". In this distro, the default 50-udev.rules file is filled only
> with "=". Replacing "==" by "=" removes the errors in the syslog.
> b) first and last uncommented  lines have to be removed also.
> For information, in this distro, udev is udev-039-10.12.EL4 and libusb is
> 0.1.8-3
>
> Now, 52-nut.rules looks like this :
>
> # udev rules for the NUT USB drivers
> # MGE UPS SYSTEMS - usbhid-ups
> SYSFS{idVendor}="0463", SYSFS{idProduct}="ffff", MODE="664", GROUP="nobody"
> SYSFS{idVendor}="0463", SYSFS{idProduct}="0001", MODE="664", GROUP="nobody"

you will also need the line that only consider _usb_ devices _add_ition
you can send me your file for validation.

> Which is the file I have to look at to check that the rule was granted ?
> Is it still /proc/bus/usb/BBB/DDD ?

BBB and DDD are given by lsubs Bus and Device numbers.

> Step 7 gives an ups.conf like :
> [mgeups]
>         driver = newhidups
>         port = auto
>
> And my "big" concern is the start of the driver :
> Command "/usr/local/ups/bin newhidups -u root -a mgeups -DDDDD" result in an :
> "Unable to get Report Descriptor (-32) : Broken Pipe error, though
> identification data from UPS ( 0463/ffff, MGE UPS SYSTEMS Extreme ) and
> reportlen ( 1536 ) were correctly discovered. The last with both methods.
>
> What do you think ? Which point(s) should I carefully check ?

it depends if the udev rule as succeeded in setting the rights.
can you check this and send back the newhidups startup output?

btw, is it still a 64b system?