[Nut-upsdev] Driver for Cyberpower PR2200

Russ Romano russ at cb-1.com
Tue May 1 03:32:02 UTC 2007

Arjen,

Ran another set of tests tonight... And added results to the
spreadsheet:
http://www.lvahs.com/pr2200.xls

> Which one are you using? According to the CyberPower website,
> the UPS can be controlled through the PowerPanel Plus
> software. According to the manual of the software, it can
> schedule power on/off as well. Power off is probably done by
> the PowerPanel Plus software, but power on needs to be done
> by the UPS itself.

Schedule off does not appear to send any commands to the UPS whatsoever,
so I think it's completely handled in the software.

The schedule "on" is mated with a scheduled "off", and creating the
scheduled event doesn't send any commands to the UPS.  So the "ON"
details must be sent to the UPS as a "wait this long and then turn back
on" command after the powerpanel software is already shutting down the
computer.  (The only way I could think of capturing this data is to
write software to connect two serial ports to one another on an
unrelated machine.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to
have the powerpanel software control the UPS without affecting the PC
itself)

> Furthermore, it looks like, the UPS also has a self-test mode
> (in the SETUP window). Could you try that one?

I exercised the self test mode.  It seems to send a T<x>\r command.  The
spreadsheet shows a self test triggered for 10 seconds (T 4Ch \r), and
another for 20 seconds (T 98h \r).  I also canceled the test, and the
cancellation sends a (C 54h \r).  No matter how long the test was set
for, the cancellation command was always the same.

I tried many settings from 1 second to 34+ seconds (although not
exhaustive) here are the codes for each that I tried:

1 second -> 07
2 -> 0F
10 -> 4C
11 -> 53
20 -> 98
21 -> A0
22 -> A7
30 -> E5
31 -> EC
32 -> F4
33 -> FB
34 -> FF
>34 -> FF

I also tried a few other tests...  There are sheets in the spreadsheet
file for each of these:

1) Pull the plug on the UPS, and start the power panel software while
the UPS is on battery.  I didn't see anything different in the startup
sequence here (other than the fact that the final value of "input
voltage" indicates that it is OL.

2) UPS being powered off from front panel switch while powerpanel is
monitoring it.

3) UPS batteries disconnected (while powered off), UPS is powered on...
It beeps like mad, powerpanel software started and data was collected.
It didn't appear to communicate with the PC at all in this state (all
the commands time out).

4) UPS is powered down, and a "wiring fault" is created by disconnecting
the ground on the line feeding the UPS's outlet.  UPS is powered on and
it illuminates it's red "wiring fault" LED.  Powerpanel was started and
communication was captured.  I didn't notice anything different in any
of the registers read by powerpanel in this state.

> See the above. Something else which might be useful, is to
> see how it's brothers and sisters (the PR1500 and PR3000)
> behave. But if you don't have these, we'll have to do
> without. So far, I think we have enough information to build
> a useable driver. The essential functions of OL, OB and LB
> are available, the rest is just bells-and-whistles.

No luck... The PR2200 is all I've got.

> I think I will integrate it from the start in the powerpanel
> driver. Since the Windows software is apparently identical
> for several flavors of the cyberpower protocol, I think the
> NUT driver should follow the same track and not have
> different drivers. It looks like we can autodetect the
> different ones. From the logs you sent, the powerpanel
> software sends a couple of '\r' characters which are
> unanswered. Apparently another version does reply to this.
> I'll rewrite part of the detection stuff in the powerpanel
> driver to allow it to try different communication settings.
>
> I'll let you know when I have something available to test.
>
> Best regards, Arjen

Let me know if there is anything else that you need and if you need my
help in any way.

Thanks!!
-Russ