[Nut-upsdev] Trying to fix "Unsupported combination of battery voltage / nr. of batteries" error

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Thu May 3 08:39:28 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Gary van Blerk <gary at cartrack.co.za> wrote:
> The megatec.c is stock standard. I have made no changes to it. I have
> noticed the same thing in minicom.
> The ups will respond to Q1 however it does not stop sending output after a
> single Q1. This seems to continue for approximately 3 minutes before another
> Q1 is required. If you constantly send the Ups the Q1 command, it has no
> effect other than the output continues for as long as you keep sending Q1.
> There is also no visible difference between Q1 and any other command you
> might enter. It seems to ignore those.

What I find strange is the driver not detecting the problems with the
output of those commands (if the ouput isn't exactly a certain number
of characters specified for each command, the driver should complain).
I may have to rework the error detection code... bleh.

> I suspect this UPS was some kind of gross violation of all that is holy.
> At least it seems to work though.

Surprisingly... I'll work on this when I have a bit of time available.
I'll try not to break support for your UPS :)

Meanwhile, if you can send me some kind of log of a minicom session to
the UPS I would appreciate it. Something that shows the "I", "F" and
"Q1" commands being called in different sequences.

Some things I'm looking for:

   1. what happens if an "I" of "F" command is sent while the UPS is
pumping output from "Q1";
   2. does sending a "C" command stop the output from "Q1"?
   3. does sending some invalid command (e.g. "B") stop the output
from "Q1"? What's the output for this invalid command?

--
Carlos Rodrigues