[Nut-upsdev] Format of entires in data/driver.list

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue May 22 14:47:25 UTC 2007

I want to propose to change the format of the entries in the
data/driver.list file. Currently the format is (according to the header)

Of these fields, the <model extra> field is not very well defined now. For
many devices, it contains information about the communication interface
used (serial / USB / SNMP) while for others it says something very model
specific (for instance, which cable to use) or which protocol the UPS
uses. Now that we're seeing more and more UPSes with both serial and USB
connections, I think it makes sense to add another (mandatory) field that
lists the communication interface used by the driver. This allows for
easier sorting of the list of drivers, now that the list is growing.

I also want to suggest that if a UPS has both serial and USB interfaces,
but we currently only support one, that we mention the other too with 'not
supported' in the <driver> field. This will help users determine quickly
(and unambiguously) if they can use the interface of their choice with
NUT.

Any thoughts?

Eindhoven - The Netherlands