[Nut-upsdev] USB support for Sweex 1000 VA UPS (was: Help with

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed May 23 15:11:04 UTC 2007

[...]

> =======================================
> sweex_usb.c:
> =======================================
> /* sweex_usb.h - driver for newer Sweex models, such as 'Sweex
>   Manageable UPS 1000VA' (ca. 2006)

[...]

I don't think this is a good name for this driver. Given their history of
changing the internals of their 'Sweex Manageable UPS 1000VA' around, we
should avoid the name 'sweex' in the driver name. I know of at least three
different versions now:

- safenet (shipped with 'SafeNet for Windows v1.0') (serial port)
- genericups upstype=7 (shipped with 'UPSmart for DB9') (serial port)
- this new driver (shipped with ?) (USB)

If history is any indication, I bet they will be shipping some entirely
incompatible USB version with the same modelname within a year or so.
Therefor, we really should reconsider the name, to avoid problems later
on.

The code you supplied, indicates this is a glorified contact closure UPS,
where the dry contacts have been replaced by a USB interface. With
essentially the same limitations as an ordinary contact closure interface.
How low can you go?

Never mind the above, but a more appropriate name might be
'genericups_usb', to indicate that it provides the same limited amount of
monitoring and control.

Eindhoven - The Netherlands