[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] Belkin F6C1100-UNV

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu May 24 01:48:30 UTC 2007

Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca>:
> No, Russell is no longer involved in NUT.

He was still running it when I made some minor contributions in 2003.

>        There are a number of us that are "senior lieutenants" (I like
> the title).

It's not original with me, but I pass it along when I can because it's
an important role hackers haven't had a good label for in the past. I
have a senior lieutenant on my main project these days (gpsd) and that's
an extremely valuable thing.

>       I am not in charge of giving SVN access, but from what I
> have observed since I have been here, it seems that the de facto
> policy is that such access is given by invitation, usually after a
> person has submitted a few quality patches.

Noted.  Patches will follow, you get to judge the quality.

> Yes, but keep in mind that people might be starting their drivers
> without "upsdrvctl" - especially during the initial testing, when
> unexpected errors are most likely to occur. So I think it's better to
> keep the error messages in the drivers.

Good point.  Then, instead of standard error return values, we probably
want to define some standard error messages for fatalx to use, via macros
that can be modified in one place.  Same effect, functionally speaking.

> > As a bonus, and since I'm going to have to walk through all the drivers
> > anyway, I'd implement another feature I previously suggested -- SVN
> > revision in the driver banner announcements.
>
> No, I think this should be handled centrally, i.e., by modifying
> config.h and/or the default CFLAGS -D options. There is already a
> preprocessor macro UPS_VERSION that all the drivers (should) use. (A
> better name would be NUT_VERSION, but never mind).

We're not disagreeing.  My plan had been to modify the CFLAGS options
using the trick I posted earlier.

Likely that will be my first patch.