[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] Belkin F6C1100-UNV

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue May 29 02:11:55 UTC 2007

Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca>:
> Eric: could you reply to my comments below and discuss why you didn't
> take them into consideration?

I did take them into consideration.  I tried to do it the way you and I
were originally thinking about, decided the result was too ugly and
too dependent on fragile autotools hacks, and backed it out.

(The fact that I forgot to change '[' to 'test' in my Makefile
production was a separate, lower-level error for which I apologize.)

Then I rewrote the patch the way I did because it seemed to promise
confinement of the machinery for composing a version string to the
smallest possible span of code (that is, within upsversion.c).

I did not particularly expect that the policy in the version of upsversion.c
I wrote would be final.