[Nut-upsdev] Asking hard questions about the NUT architecture

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Tue May 29 17:43:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> 1. In an era when file systems are normally journaled and hardened so they
> recover clean from power failures, what point is there in having your UPS
> initiate a controlled shutdown N seconds beforehand?

Suspenders and a belt.

We have the applications to think about too. It's all well and good to say
they should be able to recover gracefully, but to those of us supporting
things we didn't write, having the system shut down cleanly just might save
me hours of work later.

> 3.  Why should we care about 'smart' serial UPSes any more?

I have a perfectly good serial-only Best 1.8kva from 1996 that gives me 3
hours of runtime, with monitoring. I should throw it out just because it
doesn't have USB ?