[Nut-upsdev] Asking hard questions about the NUT architecture

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed May 30 04:15:01 UTC 2007

On 5/29/07, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
> Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> > Which kernels do this?
>
> Everything in the System V lineage back to SVr1.  I know that for sure
> because I administered System V boxes like 3B2s back in the day.  They
> defined SIGPWR for a reason.

I'm getting delayed whiplash from your time-warp comment at the start
of the thread.

I'll admit that the idea of a working SIGPWR in Linux* is growing on
me. But I think we all realize that userland development is a lot
faster than kernel-space development (as far as time to develop, and
time until it shows up in a distribution, anyway), and NUT is
something that people can use now.

* on commodity x86 PC hardware, yadda yadda.

For anyone else who has read this far, can I shamelessly divert your
attention to an earlier thread about a new release of NUT? (So that
after it is released, we can start to Balkanize the NUT architecture,
or whatever it is that we're currently trying to form a consensus
on...)

--
- Charles Lepple